Our Most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is distance education?

The Grove (CVDL) is one of fifty-four public distance education schools in the province of British Columbia. These schools are under the direction of the B.C. Ministry of Education. The Grove (CVDL) is licensed and accredited by the provincial government. The Grove (CVDL) offers programs and courses that have been developed by Open School, Western Canadian Learning Network, and locally by SD79 BC certified teachers and are augmented by direct teacher input in support of the K-12 B.C. curriculum.

What is the School Calendar for this year?

All of our programs follow the same school calendar as the rest of School District 79. The calendars can be found at this link: SD79 School Calendar

Can I graduate with a Dogwood through the Grove (CVDL)?

The Grove (CVDL) employs licensed BC teachers and is entitled to issue BC Secondary school graduation diplomas (Dogwoods) to graduating students. The Grove (CVDL) graduates can participate in a full cap and gown graduation ceremony in June of each year.

What does it cost to take Distance Education?

There are no tuition costs for British Columbia citizens who reside in British Columbia or are temporarily travelling out of the province for up to (2) two years who have not previously graduated. If you are an SD79 graduate, you may qualify to take upgrading courses at The Grove (CVDL) at not cost, please contact the Vice-Principal for more information.

Some of The Grove (CVDL) programs may require refundable deposits for books, computers or calculators.

Can I transfer back to regular school from The Grove (CVDL)?

Yes, you may transfer back to regular public school. All Grove students hvae a transition plan as a part of thier annual Student Learning Plan. At year-end, if a family wishes to move to a new program, the transition is automatic upon completion of a grade or courses. During the year, students may transfer in or out of The Grove (CVDL) at natural transition times. For grades K to 9, the matching of the curriculum will be determined by The Grove (CVDL) teachers for incoming students. The match for students leaving The Grove (CVDL) and entering regular schools will be the receiving school’s responsibility.

What if I attend another school, can I take courses at The Grove (CVDL)?

For Students in K to 9:
K to 9 students must have permission from their school principal.

For Students in Grades 10 to 12
Students in Grades 10 to 12 may choose to take courses at both at their neighbourhood school and The Grove (CVDL) at no cost (called cross-enrollment).

*A student can not be enrolled in the same course at the same time at two different schools.

When can I start?

New enrollments for our K to 9 programs begin in June. We love to have our enrollments for the school year completed by mid September so we can begin to create a sense of community. After September 30th we accept new enrollments if there are spaces available in the program. If no spaces are available at that time, a family will be put on a waitlist.

For students in grades 10 to 12, new courses may be started at any time. In saying that, we love it if students can complete their courses by mid June (as we all need a summer vacation!). Secondary courses typically average around 90 to 110 hours.

How do I find out Graduation Requirements?

Grade and graduation requirements are outlined on the Ministry of Education Website, you can find them at this link: New Graduation Program Requirements. You can make an appointment at ANY time to work with The Grove’s (CVDL) academic advisor to review your progress towards graduation.

2018-2019 Graduation Handbook

Can I do Distance Education by myself?

Parents or guardians are expected to assist students by monitoring time and work completed. Parental help may not be possible in some courses and may not be required. A tutor may be hired by the family if and when needed. The counsellors and teachers at The Grove (CVDL) are here to provide assistance either face to face, by phone, email or through texting:)

Are 3rd Party Funds Available?

In the Distributed Learning, the Ministry has set a cap on the 3rd party services/resources allocation of up to $600 per student enrolled by September 30th. For grades 10 to 12, they will be able to access a proportion of the funds based on the number of courses the students is actively engaged in. The school is only able to pay a third party resource or service provider directly and can not pay parents or students.

Allocation of funding to third parties is to be made based on the Student Learning Plan. In order to meet the BC Ministry prescribed curriculum requirements, the teacher will identify the services and resources the school and family are able to provide as well as those services and resources which may require support by way of a third party. If it is determined that third party resources and services are required, an amount up to $600 may be allocated as specified in the student learning plan.

Accounting recommended that we ask these third party billers to submit invoices with mailing addresses and invoice numbers on them so that we can track them easier rather than emails.

Our school board accounts payable department has kindly requested that these types of billings must be on invoices rather than in an email.

Please send us invoices with the following information

  • Date
  • Invoice number
  • Contact information (phone numbers,  email address)
  • Name and mailing address to mail the payment cheque to
  • Please indicated students name in the invoice as well

Accounting writes cheques every two weeks.

Invioces can be emailed to dlsecretary@sd79.bc.ca, dropped off or mailed to 1033 Nagle Street, Duncan BC V9L 2X3